Saturday, October 19, 2013

Easy No-Sew Paper Bunting

Hello!

Recently, one of my very dearest friends got married.  I made a no-sew bunting banner that read "Just Married" for her wedding reception.  The cool thing is, banners can say anything at all.





The banner easily could have read "I Suck At Sewing".  That's why I chose to do it with paper!

Here's how I did it with supplies I had around the house:




Materials:
  • Computer, printer + printer paper
  • Scissors
  • Construction paper
  • Ruler + pencil
  • Glue stick
  • Brown twine


1.  I measured each bunting flag by marking 2.5 inches in, up the centre of the construction paper.  I cut the flags out of white and blue construction paper (blue was the wedding colour).




2.  I made and printed up giant letters on the computer, then cut them out.


Disappointingly, the quality came out really badly.  But, I knew it would be high up and no one would notice.


3.  I laid out the whole thing on the ground.  (*Recommended!*)




Oopsie.  I actually miscalculated the number of flags I needed.  (See that homeless "D" on the end?)

I had also decided to decorate it with some lovebirds I found on www.picmonkey.com but now needed to reconfigure the whole thing.  Fresh out of white and blue paper, I moved the birds, added some yellow on both ends and, for good measure, added another blank flag between the words.


4.  Once I figured it all out, I glued a letter to each flag.


5.  To secure the flags to the twine string, I did not cut the string at the beginning but rather at the end. In other words, I worked my way down the letters while unrolling the ball of twine, and then cut it when I was done. I didn't want to do all that work only to realize I had cut the string too soon and too short.

  • I left ample loose string at the start since I didn't know where, how high or from what the banner would be hung.  At least 6 feet.
  • I folded down the top of each flag about 1/2 inch over the string.
  • I glued down the flap with a glue stick.
  • For extra security I also taped it down - I didn't want a letter to fall off during the wedding!


I spaced the letters out roughly 2 inches, but just eyeballed it.  It didn't need to be too perfect - homemade isn't factory-made!  It's part of the charm!

I left about another 6 feet of loose string on the other end.



Putting up the bunting on venue-prep day!

Daytime view!

Evening view!

What an absolutely perfect night.  So much love in the room.   Deliriously happy bride and groom, beautiful old friends, funny and touching speeches, delicious food, excellent dancing into the wee hours.  What more can you ask for?



There it is!  What a place of honour!

I liked making this banner so much that I'm thinking of making some more for my kids!  Such a fun an easy way to add colour and personality to a bedroom or playroom.

I like them with or without words!  Some phrases I'm thinking of:

  • Sweet Dreams
  • Big Sister
  • *baby's initials*
  • Smile
  • Brave
  • I Love You
  • Never Grow Up
  • Happy
  • Dream Big
  • Loved One
  • Sing!
  • or the classically awesome, baby's name.
More projects like this one coming soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts on this! Your email address will remain private.